[Peak] device storage does not work properly
Jovan Gerodetti
2014-07-21 18:02:47 UTC
Hi,

While I experimented with my own builds and the official Geeksphone builds,
I recognized that with an official build everything works fine but with my
builds the device storage does not work as it should.

1. The device detects no internal storage.
2. In Settings>Media Storage it displays Internal (actually my SD-Card) and
two SD-Card slots even though the Peak has only one SD-Card slot.
3. I have to select internal as default storage to be able to save files
(with SD-Card I get requested to insert a SD-Card)
3. The rescanning of the media apps does not work. If they have no indexDB
they will find every file and after that they doesn't recognize any
change...
4. File browser apps take much longer to display the directory indexes.

This all works with the official builds but not with my own builds. I
experienced this problem since I create my own builds (since v1.4).
Can someone think of anything how this could be fixed?

-- Jovan
Dave Hylands
2014-07-21 18:45:36 UTC
Hi Jovan,

Device Storage gets its knowledge of which volumes exist from 2 sources.

One is from the vold service. If you can get into an adb root shell (either use adb shell followed by su or adb root followed by adb shell) then you should be able to get vold's notion of volumes with this command:

vdc volume list

Device Storage also reads the /system/etc/volume.cfg file. I would expect this file to not be present on a geeksphone.

If your vdc volume list looks wonky, then we can further investigate along those lines.
vold determines its volumes by looking at /system/etc/vold.fstab (and I seem to recall older versions may have used another file as well, but I don't recall off the top of my head).

Dave Hylands

Jovan Gerodetti
2014-07-21 19:05:09 UTC
110 sdcard /mnt/sdcard 4
110 emmc /mnt/emmc 0
110 fat /mnt/fat 0
200 Volumes listed.
As you thought, /system/etc/volume.cfg does not exist and
/system/etc/vold.fstab
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host
dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc 18 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount fat /mnt/fat auto /devices/virtual/block/loop7
I/Vold ( 126): Vold 2.1 (the revenge) firing up
I/Vold ( 126): Load /etc/vold.origin.fstab. Do not use internal emmc
partition.
D/Vold ( 126): Volume sdcard state changing -1 (Initializing) -> 0
(No-Media)
D/Vold ( 126): Volume emmc state changing -1 (Initializing) -> 0
(No-Media)
D/Vold ( 126): Volume fat state changing -1 (Initializing) -> 0
(No-Media)
D/Vold ( 126): Volume sdcard state changing 0 (No-Media) -> 2 (Pending)
D/Vold ( 126): Volume sdcard state changing 2 (Pending) -> 1
(Idle-Unmounted)
D/VoldCmdListener( 126): volume list
D/VoldCmdListener( 126): volume mount sdcard
I/Vold ( 126): /dev/block/vold/179:33 being considered for volume
sdcard
D/Vold ( 126): Volume sdcard state changing 1 (Idle-Unmounted) -> 3
(Checking)
W/Vold ( 126): Skipping fs checks
I/Vold ( 126): Device /dev/block/vold/179:33, target /mnt/sdcard
D/Vold ( 126): Volume sdcard state changing 3 (Checking) -> 4 (Mounted)
------------------------------
Dave Hylands
2014-07-21 19:31:23 UTC
Hi Jovan,

So this means that vold reports 3 volumes, sdcard, emcc, and fat which is why you see 3 storages in the settings app. I think that the production peak only supported a single storage area (regardless of whether there were more). New builds of FxOS support multiple volumes, so it's really just about getting things setup properly.

It looks like "fat" is some type of loop mount of another filesystem (many internal filesystems do this).

I think that FxOS normally expects the volume named "sdcard" to be the internal one, and anything else to be an external volume (either a physical sdcard or a USB thumb drive).

I don't have a peak, so I'm not sure what the production vold.fstab looks like. I didn't think that the geeksphones had internal/external media storage areas. I though that they just had the physical sdcard (but I could be wrong).
/data is an internal storage area for apps, but not for device storage.

It would probably be useful to look at the output of the mount command from your phone and the production phone as well.

Dave Hylands

Gabriele Svelto
2014-07-22 07:55:06 UTC
Post by Dave Hylands
I don't have a peak, so I'm not sure what the production vold.fstab
looks like. I didn't think that the geeksphones had internal/external
media storage areas. I though that they just had the physical sdcard
(but I could be wrong).
/data is an internal storage area for apps, but not for device storage.
I've got my Peak on GP's nightlies for dogfooding and this is how
vold.fstab looks like on mine:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 18 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host/mmc0

dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host

Gabriele
Jovan Gerodetti
2014-07-22 12:37:20 UTC
In contrast to the geeksphone builds, in my build /etc/ contains not only
vold.fstab but also vold.fat.fstab, vold.emmc.fstab and vold.origin.fstab.
Also Vold doesn't load /etc/vold.fstab but /etc/vold.fstab. So I removed
vold.fstab, vold.emmc.fstab and vold.fat.fstab and replaced
vold.origin.fstab with

Post by Gabriele Svelto
dev_mount emmc /mnt/emmc auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.1/mmc_host
and now I get the right storages and the rescanning of the media apps seems
to work. But I still can't record videos.
When I tap the record button, it switches to recording mode, a file gets
created and then a alert dialog opens with only a single dot. After closing
the dialog the UI returns to "not recording".

-- Jovan
Gabriele Svelto
2014-07-22 12:40:09 UTC
Post by Jovan Gerodetti
When I tap the record button, it switches to recording mode, a file gets
created and then a alert dialog opens with only a single dot. After
closing the dialog the UI returns to "not recording".
Same issue here, if you're using your own build then this must be some
genuine bug and not something specific to the Peak (or Geeksphone builds
for the matter).

Gabriele
Jovan Gerodetti